LGBTC2 – VTCT (Skillsfirst) Level 2 Certificate in LGBT Inclusion in the Workplace (RQF)
Background to the development of the qualification
This qualification was developed in response to a request from a ‘Just Being Me’ community group in 2019. By working in partnership, we were able to shape the content of the qualification which aims to encourage inclusivity and positive interaction with people who identify as LGBT in the workplace.
More than 120 representatives from the LGBT community contributed to the development work, with group members identifying their own sexual orientation, and gender identity.
In addition, we conducted extensive research in 2020 to explore the extent to which people who identify as LGBT feel supported in their place of work.
The research comprised of interviews with 350+ LGBT workers and 1000+ HR professionals. Headlines from the research included:
- 43% of LGBT employees encounter issues with inclusivity at least once a week
- 30% of LGBT employees sometimes feel they must hide a part of who they truly are when in the workplace
- 72% of LGBT employees feel that their colleagues want to be more inclusive towards them, and 77% believe their workplace has strong inclusion values
- 61% of HR professionals believe there is a lack of knowledge on inclusion, while a further 11% report they encounter issues on inclusivity on a daily basis
- 77% of HR professionals admit they would like to know more about LGBT and inclusivity themselves
Following consultation with the ‘Just Being Me’ community group, we are confident that this qualification reflects their feedback and the findings from the research we conducted. It has been designed to make learners aware of LGBT history and culture and organisational policies and legislation affecting LGBT people in the workplace. It also explores the impact of language, stereotyping and assumptions and considers how learners can best contribute to maintaining a supportive workplace environment for LGBT people. This is an introductory qualification covering LGBT issues only.
The qualification could prove invaluable in terms of a learner’s personal and career development and does not require any prior qualifications or learning.
To support the delivery of this qualification, we are offering Train the Trainer Workshops
On completion of this qualification, you may progress into further learning, employment or onto other Skillsfirst qualifications, such as the:
- VTCT (Skillsfirst) Level 2 Certificate in LGBT Inclusivity in a Health and Social Care Environment (RQF)
- VTCT (Skillsfirst) Level 2 Certificate in Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity in an Educational Environment (RQF)
or similar vocationally-based qualifications.
All 4 modules from Group M must be achieved to gain the qualification.
Guided Learning Hours (GLH) are 105
Total Qualification Time (TQT) is 125
|Qualification number||Qualification reference|
Group M – mandatory modules
|Module title||Unit Level||GLH Value|
|M/617/8631||LGBT1||Lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans history and culture||2||24|
|T/617/8632||LGBT2||Language, stereotyping and assumptions relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people||2||28|
|A/617/8633||LGBT3||Organisational policies and legislation affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people in the workplace||2||25|
|F/617/8634||LGBT4||Contribute to maintaining a supportive workplace environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people||2||28|
To find out more please, contact our customer services team on 0121 270 5100 or email us