PWC03 – VTCT (Skillsfirst) Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care (RQF)
The Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care qualification provides the knowledge for those of you who have a fundamental understanding of adult social care. It is accessible to learners of all ages:
- learners who are eligible for employment and pre-apprenticeship programmes
- adult returners
- those undergoing a career change and who may want to understand more about working in health and social care.
- this could be for learners who do not meet the age or qualification requirements for a full Apprenticeship, or who wish to use the qualification for CPD re-skill etc.
Job roles could include but are not restricted to:
- Senior care assistants / care assistants / support workers / key workers in residential settings
- Senior healthcare assistants / healthcare assistants / support workers in community and primary care environments
- Senior healthcare assistants / support workers in acute health environments
- Senior care assistants / support workers/key workers in domiciliary services
- Care assistants / support workers/key workers in day services
- Support workers in supported living projects
This qualification introduces a more advanced level of knowledge than the Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care around the following areas:
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Personal development
- Role of the social care worker
- Handling information
- Health and Safety
- Duty of Care
- Person-centred approaches
It does not confirm occupational competence but relates to the knowledge elements covered in the mandatory units of the Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care (RQF). Learners progressing to the Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care will therefore have gained the underpinning knowledge for these units.
If you feel that this qualification is too advanced for your needs then you could look to take the Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care (RQF) instead.
This qualification does not require you to have any prior qualifications or levels of previous learning.
This qualification is highly valued by employers. For a list of nationwide training providers and colleges who deliver this qualification in your area please contact our customer services team.
It is anticipated that learners will progress to the Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care (RQF) or more specific work related qualifications.
To achieve the Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to work in Adult Social Care, learners must achieve a total of 21 credits to be taken up by mandatory units.
Guided learning hours are 190
Total Qualification Time (TQT) is 210
|Qualification number||Qualification reference|
Group M – Mandatory units
|Unit title||Credit value|
|L/602/3178||PWSC37||Understand health and safety in social care settings||5|
|D/602/3119||PWSC38||Understand how to handle information in social care settings||1|
|M/602/3044||PWSC33||Principles of diversity, equality and inclusion in adult social care settings||2|
|R/602/2906||PWSC31||Principles of communication in adult social care settings||2|
|R/602/3036||PWSC32||Principles of personal development in adult social care settings||2|
|A/601/8574||HSC024||Principles of safeguarding and protection in health and social care||3|
|A/602/3113||PWSC25||Understand the role of the social care worker||1|
|R/602/3182||PWSC36||Understand person-centred approaches in adult social care settings||4|
|R/601/1436||SHC34||Principles for implementing duty of care in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings||1|
To find out more about our registration/certification fees, contact our customer services team on
0121 270 5100 or email us